Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

An Attitude of Gratitude

Learning to be thankful can be quite a challenge sometimes.  Particularly when things seem to be going wrong.  Sometimes we find it difficult to focus on the good things in life and choose the negatives (choose is the important word there).  How much different would our day be, even our lives, if we just learned to be gracious of everyday things in life?  I tell my patients that if the best thing you can say about your day is you are still breathing, you have a good starting place.  Think about how many people are no longer breathing on this day.

I suggest to people to start and end your day listing at least 5 good/positive things about the day.  When you do that, you start to look for good things during the day.  I challenge you to try it, starting today.

My 5 things for today are:

  1. I woke up this morning.
  2. I played with my children as they invented a new game.
  3. I visited with friends.
  4. My husband got home early.
  5. I made my favorite meal for dinner.
They don't have to bee difficult things.  Just look around you and consider things you may not have previously noticed.  It may be a bit challenging at first to think about good things (we are so accustomed to negatives), but stick with it and it gets easier.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment