Pages

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Practicing Self Care

As we go through our day, we may see, hear, and/or do things that take a toll on us both physically and mentally.  Most of us need to be at our best each day in order to do our work, take care of those around us, and whatever else comes our way.  In order to be our best, we have to recharge our batteries; that is taking care of ourselves.


So just how exactly do we take care of ourselves?  Start by asking yourself some questions.


  1. Do you enjoy going to work?
  2. Do you feel you can handle your work load?
  3. Do you have some free time during your day?
  4. How are your personal relationships?
  5. How tired are you when you come home?
  6. Do you enjoy being around your friends/family?
How did you answer these?  Positively?  Negatively?  Was it difficult to answer them?  If the answers you gave aren't desirable, chances are you are not taking care of your own needs as well as you should.  If you take care of others in your life (children, spouse, patients, parents, etc) you already know how to use care skills.  You just need to use them on yourself!

We need to first of all recognize that we need to care for ourselves.  Then use some of those skills we already know: eat well, exercise, get plenty of rest.  But let's consider possibilities outside of those "traditional" suggestions.  A few weeks ago, I found myself overworked, overwhelmed, and just plain tired.  I finally realized I wasn't the only one suffering from it...my family was taking it too.  So, I made myself get up off the couch, got my children up, and we went to a nearby park to play in the water.  And I played too.  I can't tell you how much fun that was - no email, no phone, just the laughter of my children and knowing that it was time well spent.  

We need to take time to enjoy our days.  Go to lunch with co-workers (that means do not sit in front of your desk, eating while you work); take a mini vacation.  A favorite therapy technique as well as my own personal coping skill is humor.  I incorporate humor into my office, my computer, my phone, anywhere I can.  I have comics posted on my wall, quirky sayings tacked up, anything to remind me that life is too short not to laugh. 

How about you?  What are some of your favored techniques/skills for taking care of yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment